[nycphp-talk] trouble with PHP5 CGI Suse 9.1 - client denied by server configuration

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 19:36:13 EST 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:22:18 -0500, Jayesh Sheth
<jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com> wrote:

> I think there must be XAMPP version for Linux with PHP 5, but I did want
> to install it on top of my existing setup which had Apache 2, PHP 4 and
> MySQL 4.0 already installed. So then I would need uninstall all of those
> (AMP) and then install XAMPP. Another thing is that XAMPP is a
> distribution meant for local development, as opposed to server
> deployment. So it bundles every possible library, and leaves settings
> wide open. I think I read once that there is a secure settings script,
> but still there would hand tuning / human sanity checks required.

I just got yet another replacement laptop from my fun-loving,
prozac-popping friends at Acer; and with a clean XP I installed SP2,
then apache2 (from apache.org), then mysql 4.1 (from mysql.com), then
php5 (from php.net).  Then I installed PostgreSQL 8.0 RC3, and then
enabled the client DLL for php.

I'm not a windows guy by any stretch of the imagination, but it was
dead simple - anything with the registry or paths and I would have
gone down in flames. Isn't it easier this way, so you can change
versions of any/all of the components of the system?

> Note to Mitch (I forgot to mention this in my last reply to him)
> SuSe also comes out of the box with some strange settings and paths. For
> example, the mysql binaries are not owned by the mysql user! And
> Apache's configuration files are split into a million different
> includes. And when SuSe does things like that, it might compiling PHP as
> an Apache 2 module very problematic :
> http://www.trachtenberg.com/blog/programming/apache/apxs2-bug.html

Hehe I just sent you a link to a continuation of that thread.  Yeah,
that is tough, but I believe FreeBSD has a much higher 'hair-pulling'
score in my book :-D

-- Mitch