[nycphp-talk] trouble with PHP5 CGI Suse 9.1 - client denied by server configuration

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Wed Dec 29 19:22:18 EST 2004

Hi John,

thanks for your note.

 >I don't think one needs to go thru all that grief, but if it's any
 >consolation Jay, XAMPP 1.4.11 was just released with the latest Zend
 >Optimizer (2.5.7) that addresses various problems (like the foreach
 >craziness) with using PHP 4.3.10 and the old ZO
 >
 >John

I think there must be XAMPP version for Linux with PHP 5, but I did want
to install it on top of my existing setup which had Apache 2, PHP 4 and
MySQL 4.0 already installed. So then I would need uninstall all of those
(AMP) and then install XAMPP. Another thing is that XAMPP is a
distribution meant for local development, as opposed to server
deployment. So it bundles every possible library, and leaves settings
wide open. I think I read once that there is a secure settings script,
but still there would hand tuning / human sanity checks required.

I figured it would easier just to add PHP 5 as a CGI binary mapped to a
specific subdirectory of my htdocs folder, so that I could continue to
use PHP 4 while also using PHP 5-specfic apps.

Note to Mitch (I forgot to mention this in my last reply to him)
SuSe also comes out of the box with some strange settings and paths. For
example, the mysql binaries are not owned by the mysql user! And
Apache's configuration files are split into a million different
includes. And when SuSe does things like that, it might compiling PHP as
an Apache 2 module very problematic :
http://www.trachtenberg.com/blog/programming/apache/apxs2-bug.html

Best regards,

- Jay