[nycphp-talk] [OT] recommend laptop repair place/Windows XP fixer-upper?

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Thu Dec 30 23:04:58 EST 2004

Susan Shemin susan_shemin-at-yahoo.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

> I've been trying to fix my laptop for over a month now with RAM chip
> problems which have corrupted my XP Pro.  I am quite subborn and was
> determined to fix it, but I guess it's time to ask for outside help
> besides from Microsoft which has been of little help.
>
> I'm looking for a place either in Manhattan or Westchester county.
>
> Thank goodness I haven't gotten my new site up yet, or I would have
> had to walk away from my computer and start with a blank new
> computer.  The PHP files are safely on a web server, but all my recent
> Fireworks pngs are on the corrupted XP drive!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Susan

I would not trust any Windows repair to not lose files that are on the
disk. If you need those files I suggest you boot a Knoppix Live CD and
read them off the hard drive onto a USB drive or out over the network
connection.  Knoppix will boot from the CD and leave your current HDD in
"read only" state, so you can read the files off even if XP is hosed.
Get knoppix here: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Sorry I can't suggest a repair center.

-=john andrews