[nycphp-talk] 2 more php5 questions ...

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Tue Feb 17 10:32:39 EST 2004

David Mintz wrote:
> It's wildly ambitious in my humble quasi-lay opinion, and I wish them all
> the luck in the world. PHP5 looks so Java-like that I sometimes think of
> it as JHP. OTOH if we can have all that stuff if we want it, and ~still~
> write a Hello World in one line (so unlike Java), halleluyah. It's like
> the best of Perl and Java brought together and optimized to the max for
> web applications. Yum. (No offense to the Java-haters and Perl-haters
> intended.)

Oh, that would be python  ;^P

-- Mitch

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 07:42:15 -0800
From: "Hans Zaunere" <hans not junk at nyphp.com>
To: "NYPHP Talk" <talk at lists.nyphp.org>
Subject: [nycphp-talk] PHP 5  WAS: 2 more php5 questions ...

> <editorial>This is one of the Best Damn Threads we've had all=20
> month, and we always have good ones. Yahooo.</editorial>
>=20
>=20
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg wrote:
>=20
> >
> > It's tough to create a balance where people who are really into OO
can
> > go object-wild while "regular programmers" can just program and not
> > worry about all the extra baggage they don't care about.
>=20
> It's wildly ambitious in my humble quasi-lay opinion, and I=20
> wish them all
> the luck in the world. PHP5 looks so Java-like that I=20
> sometimes think of
> it as JHP. OTOH if we can have all that stuff if we want it,=20
> and ~still~
> write a Hello World in one line (so unlike Java), halleluyah.=20

I'll just chime in that, at least as far as I understand, this is
exactly PHP 5.  All the
write-a-program-in-5-seconds-and-it-runs-perfectly-because-its-procedura
l benefits are still there - and in fact, refined and running better
than they did in the past.

On the other hand, more intricate OO features are available.  I'm for
this, too, since it certainly has its place.

I'm excited about PHP 5, and frankly, wish I had more time to really
play with it (my code over the last 6 months has been PHP 5 "ready" but
doesn't take advantage of it).