[nycphp-talk] 2 more php5 questions ...

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Tue Feb 17 12:01:02 EST 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, David Mintz wrote:

> It's wildly ambitious in my humble quasi-lay opinion, and I wish them all
> the luck in the world. PHP5 looks so Java-like that I sometimes think of
> it as JHP. OTOH if we can have all that stuff if we want it, and ~still~
> write a Hello World in one line (so unlike Java), halleluyah.

We'll see how it turns out. I'm worried that this will create a chasm
between first-time developers who are just starting out and the code
that's available online that's written by experienced
programmers. People will download stuff and have no idea where to even
begin to attack it.

My biggest problem with PHP 5 is that nobody is really using it. (I
don't have any hard numbers on this, just a gut instinct.) In many
ways, PHP 4 is "good enough," so people (like Hans) haven't felt the
need to switch their codebase over.

It'll only be once the community starts writing real applications that
we'll see how everything holds together. I suspect it'll take a PHP
5.1 for all the extensions to get onboard and to give us an
opportunity to refine the new feature semantics.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!