[nycphp-talk] installing mysql 4.1 (windows)

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Wed Feb 18 03:58:10 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Daniel Convissor wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 03:27:06AM -0500, Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg wrote:
> >
> > As of MySQL 4.1, the MySQL client libaries are GPLed, so it is
> > *illegal* for PHP to bundle them due to license issues.
>
> Yeah.  Familliar with that whole rigamarole.  Good point, though.
> Fortuantely for Windows PHP users, the mysql extension comes ready to roll
> in PHP 5.

The mysql extension should still be okay, since it's not GPLed. I just
e-mailed Zak to try and learn more about the mysqli extension. I don't
think that can be bundled with PHP 5, nor is it legal to provide a
pre-built binary. (I think this is why they have the LGPL.)

However, I am not a GPL guru, so if others are, I'm open to learning
more. (Note GPL *gurus only* need reply.)

> > You CANNOT use mysql with MySQL >= 4.1.2 and CANNOT use mysqli with
> > MySQL <= 4.0.x. (And you cannot use MySQL 4.1.0 and 4.1.1 at all with PHP.)
> >
> > I don't know if your old_password() trick works completely, but it
> > will probably bork other unknown things. I would guess that the MySQL
> > folks would consider this a nasty hack. Of course, if it does work
> > 100%, I will be pleasantly happy and will want to know about this. :)
>
> Well, I can't say 100%, but at least it passes the PEAR DB test suite --
> barring the PHP 5 object bugs we were discussing the other day.

But doing this would proclude me from using a MySQL 4.1 client with
that account, right? Because now the passwords won't match. Still, it
would be a way for people to migrate off of MySQL 3.x/4.0 to 4.1/5.0
without porting from mysql to mysqli. You'd just make a second account
for the mysqli connection.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!