[nycphp-talk] your IDE? (was "Zend Survey")

Chris Hubbard chubbard at next-online.net
Wed Feb 18 13:17:46 EST 2004

Things I like about Zend:
paren and brace matching
function autocomplete, function argument prompting
integrated debugging
runs fine on a mac (dual G5 1GB RAM)
block comment/uncomment

Things I don't like about Zend:
it's contantly asking me if I want to save the current files as a
project.  As far as I can tell the whole "project" implementation is too
buggy to use.
It runs so slowly on a WinXP (Athlon 1.8, 512MB RAM) that it is totally
unusable.  I'm talking "minutes to respond" not seconds.
Price.  In it's current configuration it's not worth the price.

Things I wanted in Zend but was unable to find, (it may or may not
support these):
customize the default "new" page.
I wanted to create a tool bar with some of my favorite code snippets
(like print_r())
I wanted more control over the keyboard, what key combinations did what.

In short, I really really wanted to like Zend.  It's almost there.  But
it's not there in enough ways that it found it's way into my trash, not
my heart.

I used to use jEdit.  Thought I would try some other tools. (BTW primary
platform is a mac).  Now I'm playing with BBEdit.  It's incrementally
better than Zend.
Chris