[nycphp-talk] Designing without register_globals

Faber Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Sun Feb 22 01:06:58 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:19:23AM -0500, Chris Snyder wrote:
> Chris Shiflett wrote:
>
> >I know several people, including myself, who have used PHP to speak to a
> >
> >Pick database (jBase implementation included).
> >

> I decided to go find out just what the heck a PICK database is.
>
> Elegant system back in the day (TRW, 1965), as there is only one type of
> data: untyped, variable length string. The flexibility inherent in that
> approach led to what looks to me like an OO db.

Their other Major Point is the Multi-valued field.  AFAICT, it's a field
that can hold multiple values (DUH!).  I can see where that would be
quite handy, but as their sole claim to fame... :-?

>From what I can tell, they've "renamed" the PICK database(s) as a
"multivalued database".  There are several web sites/organizations
called www.multivalue.(net|org|com). I've also seen them called "fourth
normal databases".

The coolest thing IMO they seem to do is to hash all of the data which
allows for very quick retrieval.  I've yet to find the technical details
on how that works.

--

Regards,

Faber

Linux New Jersey: Open Source Solutions for New Jersey
http://www.linuxnj.com