[nycphp-talk] Designing without register_globals

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Sun Feb 22 22:41:49 EST 2004

--- Faber Fedor <faber at linuxnj.com> wrote:
> Well, don't keep us in suspense, man!! Tell us! What is the Secret
> Connection String?!

The people I consulted for were using regular TCP/IP socket programs for
communication, and they made up their own protocol, originally with
fixed-length strings as data and later with XML. It worked very well, but
they were using PHP "back in the day," so their original implementation
was a hack, and it's hard to apply evolutionary changes to a hack and have
it turn into a truly elegant solution.

They were in the middle of switching to jBase when I moved to NYC, and
supposedly they were going to be able to access data within Pick natively
from PHP.

> > I can put you in contact with someone, if that's helpful.
>
> Am I not already in contact with someone helpful? ;-)

Well, I try to be helpful, but this isn't my area of expertise at all. I
can explain how I was communicating with Pick, but I have friends who
should now be doing something much better with jBase. I didn't want you to
feel like that one guy was holding onto some sort of secret is all.

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/

PHP Security - O'Reilly