[nycphp-talk] MAC development environment

Chris Snyder csnyder at chxo.com
Tue Feb 24 00:17:10 EST 2004

Mauricio Sadicoff wrote:

> IMHO, the Mac is now the best platform for web development, bar none.
> It runs the standard Unix software, has versions of everything that
> Wintel has, the colors actually match what you print and it's really
> beautiful to boot!

I second this -- OSX is Unix with a pretty interface. It ships with PHP
installed, and it's supposed to be pretty easy to create native apps
that call PHP scripts behind the scenes.

Setting up a dev environment is going to be different for everyone, but
here's a few tips off the top of my head.

Install the X11 server from the OSX dvd if it isn't already installed.
Install Apple's Developer Tools
You can turn on Apache at the Sharing control panel
Visit O'Reilly to find out how to turn on the root account + a bunch of
other Unix tips
Visit fink.sourceforge.net --  fink is an OSX version of Debian's
package management system

Feel free to ask questions here, particularly as they relate to
using/developing on DAMP.

    csnyder