[nycphp-talk] Your experiences with PHPDocumentor

Chris Snyder csnyder at chxo.com
Fri Feb 27 14:34:59 EST 2004

patkins wrote:

>I am very impressed and motivated to clean up and comment all my projects. I also tried the "DOxygen" and "PHPDocumentor" was by far better.

This is a matter of preference, obviously, and perhaps I have an
outdated notion of PHPDocumentor, but one of the things that I really
like about Doxygen is that it links you right into the actual code.

It also strikes me as being more flexible -- you can use any or all of
several different commenting styles, although this also seems to result
in a configuration process that is relatively complex.

The impending introduction of PHP5 will change the auto-documentation
landscape somewhat, as you'll be expressing a lot of important notions (
public vs private, parameter typing ) in the code rather in comments. It
will be interesting to see which packages take the lead in this case.