[nycphp-talk] Your experiences with PHPDocumentor

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Fri Feb 27 15:01:18 EST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Chris Snyder wrote:

> The impending introduction of PHP5 will change the auto-documentation
> landscape somewhat, as you'll be expressing a lot of important notions (
> public vs private, parameter typing ) in the code rather in comments. It
> will be interesting to see which packages take the lead in this case.

PHP 5 also offers a complete set of reflection classes:

http://sitten-polizei.de/php/reflection_api/docs/language.reflection.html

This makes it much easier to write documentation programs because you
can ask PHP to describe the classes for you in far greater detail than
in PHP 4.

If you're interested in see these in action, check out the PHP 5
version of PHPUnit. I haven't spent too much time looking at its
source, but I know it uses reflection to simplify how to examine
classes so it can run unit tests.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!