[nycphp-talk] mysql + 0 rows affected error

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Mon Jan 12 16:48:26 EST 2004

That does sound very odd, though you would have to provide more details
to be able to properly diagnose the problem.

I do know that affected rows will return the number of rows actually
changes by an update, so if you set a value to the value it currently
has it will not be counted.

As for a DELETE, it will return 0 affected rows if you do not specify a
WHERE clause.  This is due to an internal speed optimisation, if you
don't specify a where clause (in autocommit mode) it actually performs a
TRUNCATE on the table.

I don't know if this helps you much, but they are the only cases I can
think of where you should get an affected_rows value of 0.  If your
queries do not fall into one of these categories then there is
definitely something fishy going on.

Dan