[nycphp-talk] OT: What are you doing against Spam ?

DeWitt, Michael mjdewitt at alexcommgrp.com
Thu Jan 15 12:23:09 EST 2004

	For those who are considering a server based approach with  the need
to filter for a group or company, you may want to consider Mailcorral
http://bsmdevelopment.com

	This is a GPL based wrapper for Spamassassin which handles
de-fanging and anti-spam tasks.  The great feature of it is that mail is
"corralled" and a report of all spam received is sent once a day to each
recipient for review. Mail that has been falsely accused of being spam or
defanged to the point of uselessness can be easily called out of the corral
in its orginal form.

	Although a bit complicated to setup (and a couple of gotchas), I
think it was worth it as it is flexible, fast and a network drop-in for
those with an exisiting mailserver (like exchange). The setup and running of
the system is well documented.

	The developer seems to be on hiatus right now, but I haven't found a
product that can match it in terms of price and capability.

	I have been running this system for about a year and have recently
activated the bayes filter of spamassassin on a global basis (which seems to
be working well).  There is only one bug that I have found for which there
is a simple work-around.

	Mike