[nycphp-talk] Simple XML discussion at Zend

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Tue Jan 20 10:58:41 EST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, jon baer wrote:

> i still want to know if/why/how SimpleXML will be entirely plug-in based (so
> that it is available for PHP4) or if its so internal to the Zend core, there
> were different answers.  my first impression was an extension library.

SimpleXML is an extension, but it only works with PHP 5 because it
relies upon many low-level features that are only available in Zend
Engine 2, such as property and method overloading and
iterators.

(There are additional reasons, such as SimpleXML expecting to work in
conjunction with PHP 5's base libxml2 extension, but the ones listed
first are the most fundamental.)

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!