[nycphp-talk] Draft of tutorial on creating rich web, applications with XUL and PHP posted

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Thu Jul 1 09:43:41 EDT 2004

Hi Scott,

thanks for pointing out the article in PHP Architect. Actually, I read
that article, and sent feedback to PHP Architect using its forums on it.

The article by Jonathan Protzenko mentions XUL and PHP, but it gives
examples where HTML is embedded into a XUL document (using namespaces).
So, in his example, in order that a XUL document submit information, it
has have two sets of form elements: XUL input elements and HTML form
elements. Since XUL input elements cannot be grouped into HTML-like
forms in order to be submitted together, he uses JavaScript to copy
information entered into XUL input elements into hidden HTML form
elements. This is a round-about way of doing things, since you have to
write two input elements (one XUL one, one HTML one) for each piece of
data that you want submitted.

It also does not take advantage of XUL's ability to create desktop-like
programs without the refresh that occurs when an HTML document is
submitted.

In my article I use web sevices so that the XUL interface never has to
change - it is not replaced by a new page when the submit button is
pressed.

For more information on that article, please see:

http://www.moztips.com/index.php?id=254

and

http://www.phparch.com/discuss/index.php/t/650/851/

Best Regards,