[nycphp-talk] Keeping the PHP license separate from GPL'd code

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Fri Jul 2 09:58:06 EDT 2004

At php.net I read

question:
"Why is PHP 4 not dual-licensed under
 the GNU General Public License (GPL) like PHP 3 was?

answer:
"GPL enforces many restrictions on what can and cannot
be done with the licensed code. The PHP developers decided
to release PHP under a much more loose license (Apache-style),
to help PHP become as popular as possible."

My questions are:

Let's say there's an extension for PHP
that I have in mind to write and it will be
based rather closely on some C code
that is GPL'd (let's say close enough
that it could be considered assimilated,
as in 'resistance is futile').

Now let's further say that I will re-write
this extension for a client. That is, I will
download the GPL source for the client
and then tailor that code the for client's
needs (as an extension). The client wants to
retain the source and modify it himself.

The first question I have is:

Does the client have to keep track of all
the changes he makes, because he is forced
by the GPL license to give them back to
the open source community from which the
original code came from.

I am currently under the impression that
the client can change, hack, and improve to
his heart's content -- he just can't
publish the extension -- and that would
include giving it to a friend (for zero
financial consideration) without making
his code public.

But the main point that I am worried
about (as would be potential clients
in the case where some of the business
logic might reveal a little more of
their business strategy than they would like)
is that such a client wouldn't have to
give back his changes. He would only have to
give his source to people who asked for
it because they want to use a 'published'
extension.

And just as importantly, to what degree can
the GPL license spread to modules that take
advantage of the extension. And here I
mean should I be careful what PHP modules
use the extension, because they will
become GPL'd (assuming I don't want that).

Does anybody know for sure?

Can someone point me in the right
direction on the web for some
easy-to-understand info on this?

I haven't tried too much Goggling for
this because I am presupposing that
I would have to sift through a lot of
mis-information -- even if I am
'Feeling Lucky'.

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com