[nycphp-talk] making a manual http POST using a PHP client (US PSwebservices)

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Mon Jul 12 16:27:06 EDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Chris Bielanski wrote:

> This begs the question "Does file_get_contents in PHP 4.3.x have an upper
> limit to the size of the return data?" IE, if you do:
>
> $string =
> file_get_contents("https://www.someserver.com/path/page.php?query=str");
>
> will "str_len($string)" max out at some multiple of 4096?
>
> ..don't forget I'm talking PHP 4.3.x

AFAIK, there's no limit to file_get_contents() beyond the usual limits
for strings in PHP. However, that doesn't mean I'd use it to request a
100 Mb file because it needs to store the whole string in memory.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copies today!