[nycphp-talk] PHP Scales, Our Chris Shiflett gets /.'d

George Schlossnagle george at omniti.com
Tue Jul 13 14:41:15 EDT 2004

On Jul 13, 2004, at 2:33 PM, Sol wrote:
> Sorry for bringing this back but I still don't
> understand this "SCALABILITY" thing. The more I read
> you guyz, the more I get confused about the whole
> thing.

What don't you get about it precisely?

Chris' statement had a bunch of fluff to it, but his basic argument (or
at least my paraphrase of it) is that stateless applications have
infinite horizontal scalability since they persist no data from request
to request.

Of course this ignores the point that you often have to persist data
from request to request, which is why I find that general argument to
be a bit fluffy.  Many (most?) applications need both some
intra-session inter-request data  persistence as well as inter-session
data persistance.  Simply saying 'its someone else's reponsibility'
(mysql or whatever) is a cop-out, because you still need your whole
application to run.  It's like saying that my car can do 400 mph, it
just needs the right engine.

George