[nycphp-talk] firefox extension

Joel De Gan joel at tagword.com
Wed Jul 28 12:17:40 EDT 2004

Hi Chris,
FOAF is actually used for *much* more than just showing interlinking
these days.
I authored the MeNowDocument FOAF schema extension:
http://schema.peoplesdns.com/menow/
Which is to have frequently updated info and which will be the subject
of my next firefox extension.

People are mapping foafers by airport codes, long/lat, using them for
public/private keypairs, developing trust relationships and even using
temporary ones for time-limited projects or dynamically changing groups
for cvs and project management.

It is fun to watch it evolve in an active manner.

-joeldg

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 16:11, inforequest wrote:
> Chris Bielanski Cbielanski-at-inta.org |nyphp 04/2004| wrote:
>
> >Joel can you email me offlist and tell me WTH "Foafer" is/does? I'm dropping
> >it on the list in case I'm not the only one in the dark.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Chris Bielanski
> >

> For those interested, FOAF is "_F_riend _O_f _A_ _F_riend".
>
> First people started "blogging".  Then bloggers started listing their
> friends blogs in a sidebar on their blogs
>
> Since those friends also listed their friends blogs in sidebars of their
> blogs, someone noticed that these friends links on linked blogs were
> actually representative of a "social network". Think like the way Google
> does (links = relationships) and you'll see the potential.
>
> When blog hosting services noticed they were hosting thousands of
> interlinked blogs, they knew they could analyze the internetworking on
> the back end. In order to do it across bloghosts, some standard means
> would be needed. FOAF is the prevailing technology for doing that using XML.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> -=john
> Andrews, personal homepage with dancing bears not expected anytime soon.

joeldg - developer, Intercosmos media group.
http://lucifer.intercosmos.net