[nycphp-talk] MSIE caching problem

Michael Myers myersm at optonline.net
Wed Jul 28 12:51:42 EDT 2004

I'm truly embarrased to ask this question, but other avenues have not
provided a solution. I don't know if the problem is in my HTML, the
browser configuration, or Apache.

I have a very basic web form that takes in some values that are used in
a subsequent database query. After submitting, if the user elects to
back up in the browser cache in order to make a few changes on original
form and then re-submit, he/she finds that the entire form has been
reset. This only happens with MSIE (version 6.0.28) on Windows XP. When
I use Safari on MacOSX, the form retains the previously entered values
when I back up to it in the browser cache. (Of course, forms on *other*
web pages retain their values, even with MSIE on Windows).

I tried setting an "Expires:" header on the page containing the form
using the header() function, but this had no impact.

I thought it was usually the case that people have trouble
*eliminating* caching!

Server Specs:
MacOS 10.3.8
built-in Apache 1.3.29