[nycphp-talk] Pair Network's "security" model - could it be thisbad?

Mark Armendariz nyphp at enobrev.com
Tue Jun 1 17:34:08 EDT 2004

> I agree with Jay,  When I ftp or ssh into my account at
> boxnix, the root directory is the home directory of my
> account.  I can't "cd ..".  I just end up at the root level,
> and can only see my files.  How could anyone else with a
> different account have access to my files?

Hey Bill, I've been with Boxnix almost 2 years now and have worked with them
quite a bit.  They put a lot of time into ensuring their virtual hosts are
really secure.  Their servers seem to get tighter and tighter, but whiles
staying developer friendly  all the time.  All their accounts have been
sandboxed incredibly well.  'nobody' no longer exists on their servers, as
all your scripts run as 'you' (your login).  They explained it to me at some
point, but it's been a while.  I haven't tested to any serious degree, but
from what I've seen thus far, you can't get out of your sandbox and into
others.

I tend to highly recommend them quite often.

P.S. I've worked with them before as a freelance developer... So, I am
biased, but that's due to good service and good people.   I don't get
anything for recommending them, nor would I have worked with them if they
sucked.

Mark