[nycphp-talk] Pair Network's "security" model - could it be this bad?

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Tue Jun 1 19:51:17 EDT 2004

Thanks for the good responses and tips, Chris (Snyder).

My host does not have SFTP support, but they offer a VPN option for
extra amount per month.

I just found this page which (humorously) refers to the two of the
things you mentioned (using SFTP and chrooting users):

http://chrootssh.sourceforge.net/

Also, I belatedly noticed that Daniel's (Convissor) page on UNIX
permissions is linked from host's knowledge base:

http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/code/chmod.htm

It is a good document. I really need to read up on all this "user",
"group" and "other" stuff (!) It can get a bit confusing. Now I know why
Windows by default is insecure - it's just easier.

The only (and scary) thing is - when I am on shared host, it's not that
ha-ha to find out that other users could be snooping through my source
code or db password. That's almost like open source by coercion.

I feel that webhosting providers which specialize in shared hosting
should be upfront in the security policies they follow - and in the case
of setups such as Pair Networks', alert users in all ways possible to
use php-cgiwrap (or whatever other abstruse method is required) to keep
data private.

Many non-developers (including static HTML coders and graphic designers)
don't have the slightest idea about chroot, SSH, shell users,
permissions and such. It seems that any webhosted interested in being
present for the long term and in the security of its user's data would
take a better approach.

I know, it seems like I am bashing Pair, when I fact I thought they were
quite cool until yesterday. It could just be my ignorance on the subject
showing - that I am perhaps more outraged at my own previously lack of
interest (or ignorance) on the subject of security that at Pair's shared
hosting setup.

I guess what Chris was saying was that it is the norm for shared hosting
providers to be lax about security and that therefore it is the
customer's job to worry about whether his data is safe.

I know, all my ranting on this subject does make me look like a paranoid
freak (something my brother has joked about on more than one occassion).
I am really not that way - see, I use Windows on the desktop, I don't
dream about compiling my version of PHP, or security jails. It's just ...

Best Regards,

- Jay