[nycphp-talk] OT: Solaris is going open source

Adam Fields adam at digitalpulp.com
Sat Jun 5 09:36:55 EDT 2004

leam wrote:
> Nyah, both Linux and *BSD are superior products. First, Linux has a much
> better developer base and the entry point for contributions is much
> lower. You only need low-end x86 hardware and you're off. Plus, Linux

There >is< an x86 version of Solaris. It doesn't have quite the same
level of hardware support as Linux, but for some things, it's vastly
superior. It has a number of proponents that swear by it.

> makes a better desktop experience; more user apps are written for it.

For now, but this falls down in two ways - anything that's compiled can
be cross-compiled, and there's no reason you can't add linux binary
compatibility to Solaris, as some of the BSDs have done.

> NetBSD (my favorite of the lot) is a much cleaner code base and more
> platforms, thus more places to use it.
>
> Solaris really doesn't seem to offer any value in the low-medium end
> server market or the desktop. It may be nice for a few high end uses but
> I think it more likely that people will read the code and spend time
> porting the concepts to Linux and *BSD than converting to Solaris.

I think it'll be some combination of the two, but I suspect that it'll
be easier to port the user apps to Solaris than to incorporate the
advantages Solaris has into the Linux kernel.

> With the push for web-based apps and db backends you seldom need bigger
> boxes like the 8+ CPU models. And if you need 1, you need at least 2 to
> provide uptime and redundancy. And if you need 2 you need 4; 2 for
> production, 1 for developing code and 1 for heavy QA testing Better to
> have 4-8 smaller boxes with a shared load. Although I admit admin'ing 2
> boxes is easier than 8.  :)

I'm not familiar with the specifics, but I'd assume that some of the
enhancements that Sun came up with for multi-processor support will also
apply to distributed cluster implementations, and that Sun hasn't gone
that way because up until very recently, they've had a vested interest
in getting people to buy large SMP servers.

> You also need to look at the job market; most jobs are in small
> businesses that can better justify a uniform platform provider like Dell
> or Compaq/HP than some Sun and some x86. Your Linux skills are going to
> find more opportunities. Of course, as this is a PHP list your AMP
> skills will be more in demand everywhere and you just need to know how
> to get the sysadmin up to speed on their particualr platform's support
> of AMP.  :)

Well... MySQL on Solaris is currently less fun.