[nycphp-talk] OT: Solaris is going open source

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Sat Jun 5 13:01:53 EDT 2004

> On Behalf Of Adam Fields
> Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 9:37 AM
> To: NYPHP Talk
> Subject: Re: [nycphp-talk] OT: Solaris is going open source
>

> leam wrote:
> > Nyah, both Linux and *BSD are superior products. First, Linux has a
> > much
> > better developer base and the entry point for contributions is much
> > lower. You only need low-end x86 hardware and you're off.
> Plus, Linux
>
> There >is< an x86 version of Solaris. It doesn't have quite the same
> level of hardware support as Linux, but for some things, it's vastly
> superior. It has a number of proponents that swear by it.

You can get solaris 10 for for free here:
http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/10/

One year of support costs $99.
(I think -- at least that was the price for
Solaris 9 as I recall)

DTrace looks intersting.

(Sun marketing hype: "DTrace is a sophisticated and powerful new
technology which enables a system administrator to explore today's
complex systems to understand how they work and ultimately to track
down performance problems across many layers of software.")

As to 'the same level of hardware support' --

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/

has a hardware compatibility list.

Frankly, I don't care if an OS supports 30 different
network adapters -- just mine.

> > makes a better desktop experience; more user apps are
> written for it.

Don't agree with you there, Leam, for a better destop experience --
just throw on what ever 'happy face' (desktop environment)
floats your boat.

> For now, but this falls down in two ways - anything that's
> compiled can
> be cross-compiled, and there's no reason you can't add linux binary
> compatibility to Solaris, as some of the BSDs have done.
>
> > NetBSD (my favorite of the lot) is a much cleaner code base and more
> > platforms, thus more places to use it.
> >
> > Solaris really doesn't seem to offer any value in the low-medium end
> > server market or the desktop. It may be nice for a few high

$100 bucks for commercial support seems like a pretty good value to me.
I think that is less money than Red Hat (Linux) charges.

> end uses but
> > I think it more likely that people will read the code and
> spend time
> > porting the concepts to Linux and *BSD than converting to Solaris.
>
> I think it'll be some combination of the two, but I suspect
> that it'll
> be easier to port the user apps to Solaris than to incorporate the
> advantages Solaris has into the Linux kernel.

I agree with Adam here except for two things:

one, I am under the impression that most significant apps
     are already ported or were done for Solaris first --

two,  although it would generally seem better to
      incorporate whatever superior things (might) exist in
      Linux to Solaris -- I wouldn't overlook the fact
      that if SCO ever comes up with any real hard
      facts (specific lines of code) that they (SCO)
      want addressed (removed from the Linux kernel), Linux
      maintainers may find it expeditious to port
      what pieces they can from Solaris.

I am certainly no authority on Unix kernels. Here, I am assuming
SCO can't claim the rights to Sun's kernel and further
I am guessing that since the Solaris kernel is unquestionably
Unix-like, it would be close enough to the Linux kernel to
provide some useful pieces where needed.

> > With the push for web-based apps and db backends you seldom need
> > bigger
> > boxes like the 8+ CPU models. And if you need 1, you need
> at least 2 to
> > provide uptime and redundancy. And if you need 2 you need 4; 2 for
> > production, 1 for developing code and 1 for heavy QA
> testing Better to
> > have 4-8 smaller boxes with a shared load. Although I admit
> admin'ing 2
> > boxes is easier than 8.  :)
>
> I'm not familiar with the specifics, but I'd assume that some of the
> enhancements that Sun came up with for multi-processor
> support will also
> apply to distributed cluster implementations, and that Sun
> hasn't gone
> that way because up until very recently, they've had a vested
> interest
> in getting people to buy large SMP servers.
>
> > You also need to look at the job market; most jobs are in small
> > businesses that can better justify a uniform platform
> provider like Dell
> > or Compaq/HP than some Sun and some x86. Your Linux skills
> are going to
> > find more opportunities. Of course, as this is a PHP list your AMP
> > skills will be more in demand everywhere and you just need
> to know how
> > to get the sysadmin up to speed on their particualr
> platform's support
> > of AMP.  :)
>
> Well... MySQL on Solaris is currently less fun.

I'll take your word on that.

Actually I am not a really big fan of (or advocate for) Solaris.

The last time I used it on a PC was circa Solaris 8 --
and then only because I was forced to.

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com

Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 14:48:58 -0700
From: "Hans Zaunere" <hans not junk at nyphp.com>
To: "NYPHP Talk" <talk at lists.nyphp.org>
Subject: [nycphp-talk] FW: [NYSA] Announcement: Perl 6 and Parrot talk onJune
	9th

You might be asking why I forwarded this announcement to a PHP list...

There has been some work on porting PHP to the Parrot engine by Sterling
and Theis.  There are some interesting concepts here, so I thought it
might be something of interest to PHPers.  Afterall, scripting engines -
whether it be Zend or Parrot - work on many of the same principles.

Anyway, I unfortunately won't be in town for the meeting, but I hope
some may find it useful.