[nycphp-talk] exit signal Bus error (10)

Chris Hubbard chubbard at next-online.net
Tue Jun 8 16:25:15 EDT 2004

All,
I've spent a bunch of time trying to trace this error.  Has anyone seen
it or something like it?

Line in /var/log/httpd/ error_log:
[Mon Jun  7 16:33:43 2004] [notice] child pid 7856 exit signal Bus
error (10)
where 7856 is a child of httpd

Environment:
Mac OS X 10.3.3
PHP 4.3.6 & 4.3.7
Apache 1.3.29

I've been able to trace (using gdb) the error to a function in
zend_hash.c, but I can't find where this function is being called from
and why one of the values is 0x3 (seems like a bad page).

I've not been able to build a test case that isolates this error.  I've
got a test case that works on one box, but not on another (similarly,
almost identically) configured OS X box.

It seems to happen after the page has been built and sent to the
browser, as it doesn't affect the display of the HTML (using smarty).
Interesting side note, when this error occurs no entries are written to
the access_log, which makes sense, assuming the apache child is dying
before it can write to the access_log.

Thoughts?

Chris Hubbard
chubbard at next-online.net