[nycphp-talk] sending email from PHP

DeWitt, Michael mjdewitt at alexcommgrp.com
Fri Jun 11 09:26:46 EDT 2004

In this post I neglected to mention the need to change php.ini so that the
sendmail parameters can be passed.  Here is the updated post.

Mike

I have some issues along these lines but made a few changes in the way PHP
interfaces with sendmail.  Here are the key changes:

1. Set the from address in sendmail before you use it and set delivery mode
to defer.  Make sure your from address is a trusted user of sendmail to
suppress the warning of identity change.

$fromaddress='info at yourdomain.com'
		putenv("PHP_SENDMAILPARAMS= -O DeliveryMode=defer -f
$fromaddress");

Change the sendmail_path line in php.ini to read:

sendmail_path   =       /usr/lib/sendmail -t -i $PHP_SENDMAILPARAMS

2. Build your lists and use the regular ole mail command

			$datasent=mail($toaddress, $subject,
$bodytext, "From: ".$fromaddress."\r\n"
			     ."Bcc:".$addbcc."\r\n"

3.Flush the queue or just wait for sendmail's natural queue flush (depends
on how you have this setup and how quickly you need to process the queue)

$processq=exec('/usr/lib/sendmail -q >/dev/null &');

Making these changes made email broadcasts practical and is 100 x faster
than the default setup where php waits for sendmail to deliver.

Hope this helps

Mike