[nycphp-talk] connecting to oracle w/ php

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Wed Jun 23 01:01:27 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 05:58:04PM -0400, Mitch Pirtle wrote:

> And on this very list is a very, VERY good guy and programmer that works
> on PEAR::DB:

Aw, shucks...

> ...although I assume that PEAR::DB uses the internally-supplied PHP to
> Oracle driver.  Is that correct, Dan?

Yes.

I'm running Windows 2000 and Oracle 9.2.  Connection times aren't
noticeable.  Here's my PEAR DB DSN for connecting:

So, your system is having problems.  Of course, WHAT problem is the
question.  The folks thus far have given very good suggestions.  My only
additional thought is a problem with the TNS listner.  If I understand it
correctly, there are two types of Oracle connections.  One via a local
socket (or maybe a TCP/IP connection) (which is how I believe I'm
connecting) and then the other via this TNS
dohickey, which I know nothing about.  I hope someone fills in more
information here and/or corrects me.

If you do try DB, make sure you're running a current version (1.6.4).  I
suggest giving it a shot just to see if it connects normally or not.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/