[nycphp-talk] handling long articles...and MS Word

Marc Antony Vose suzerain at suzerain.com
Tue Mar 2 21:14:24 EST 2004

Hi there:

I've designed a bajillion database-driven Web projects in the past,
but I've got a client requesting something that is entirely
reasonable (conceptually), but a logistical nightmare.

Generally, I try not to store any HTML in a database, no matter what.
Further, in this situation, the content editor needs a setup where
they do zero coding, and can have the following features:

-- basic formatting, including bold, italic, underline...basically, a
few styles that would be pre-defined and available to them

-- inline articles (not much of a problem, really, i already just
auto-flow images into articles at regularly spaced intervals, and the
client is happy with that approach

-- in-article footnotes that automatically link to (in this case) a
popup window containing footnotes

-- in-article sidebar links that spawn a popup with some special
information (like a QuickTime video, or Flash movie, or file
download).

It sounds like their text will be originating from Microsoft Word,
which is of course the bane of my existence, since I am a Unix guy.

So, my question is...how best to handle this problem?  The solution
needs to be as quick and cheap as possible.  I see several
alternatives:

(1) XML
Is it feasible to get any kind of XML output from Microsoft Word that
could be parsed by a script and auto-imported?

(2) Visual Basic
Is it possible to write a VB script that would step through his Word
documents and create an XML document, or something, that my script
would parse, noting things like bolded text, footnotes, and other
stuff along the way?

(3) ???
Can anyone share their strategy for this sort of thing?

Right now, believe it or not, I am leaning toward diving into
REALbasic and coding my own cross-platform Windows/OS X XML document
editor to sell to clients who make these kinds of requests, for them
to prepare their Web-based documents in, rather than dealing with all
the vagaries of going from Word to ASCII or Unicode-compatible
textual content dynamically.

But maybe that is just an irrational reaction to the mounting tension
in my head...

--
Marc Antony Vose
http://www.suzerain.com/

I'm looking for something in an *after dinner* burrito.
-- Homer Simpson