[nycphp-talk] handling long articles...and MS Word

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Tue Mar 2 22:00:19 EST 2004

Marc Antony Vose wrote:

> Generally, I try not to store any HTML in a database, no matter what.
> Further, in this situation, the content editor needs a setup where they
> do zero coding, and can have the following features:
>
> -- basic formatting, including bold, italic, underline...basically, a
> few styles that would be pre-defined and available to them
>
> -- inline articles (not much of a problem, really, i already just
> auto-flow images into articles at regularly spaced intervals, and the
> client is happy with that approach
>
> -- in-article footnotes that automatically link to (in this case) a
> popup window containing footnotes
>
> -- in-article sidebar links that spawn a popup with some special
> information (like a QuickTime video, or Flash movie, or file download).

There are tons of TTW (Through The Web) editors out there that are
basically javascript calling the freebies built in to IE and Mozilla.
Most can handle cut-n-paste right from Word (as they use Microsoft's own
code from IE).  Some of the most popular ones:

http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/
http://www.fredck.com/fckeditor/
http://link.altova.com/download_authentic.html
http://www.interakt.ro/products/KTML/index.php

There's even a website dedicated to them:
http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/projects/cms/ttw/ttw.html

You also have access to CMS that use them, like:

http://www.mamboserver.com/

...and you can even demo them ALL at:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

DISCLAIMER: I am a Mambo developer, but other than that I like to see
what everyone else is doing too :)

Most of the TTW editors out there let you add custom buttons, and I
think this would work for you regarding footnotes, and some CMS include
capabilities to provide a "what's related" sidebar.

HTH,

-- Mitch