[nycphp-talk] handling long articles...and MS Word

Marc Antony Vose suzerain at suzerain.com
Thu Mar 4 08:22:53 EST 2004

Hi there:

Just replying to this since Tim said he was interested in what method I chose.

About my situation:  I am an independent developer whose clients are
small business whose character or integrity I like, or non profits
and documentary filmmakers.

Basically, this means people who have no money.  :)  Therefore, my
decisions are generally made given that I have smaller budgets and
fewer people (read: me) at my disposal.

So, after looking into all this stuff, I decided to take htmlArea and
slap it in as an optional feature of my custom-built CMS, which I
have been developing for years.

For me, design is the number one concern, so a pre-built CMS is
really not an option.  Generally, their layout and design is
structured around a fairly narrow set of potential uses; plus, you
have to struggle against other people's code when you want to
customize.  So, back in 1998, I chose to build my own system from the
ground up.  It is great in some ways, and sorely lacking in others,
but at least I know what every single line of code does without even
thinking about it.

Part of the system is a form generation class, and an admin tool
framework, which I reuse on projects, so I was concerned that merging
something like this would cause me to have to make wholesale changes.
However, I am, like, really pleasantly surprised to find that this
htmlArea JavaScript component is able to be merged into my CMS,
without disturbing one line of my code!  This makes me happy.  And
the JS code is very well-written and amenable to customization.

Thanks to Mitch and Brent, for getting me on this track, and thanks
for the heads-up about OpenOffice, too.  I really wish there were a
common Word processor document standard based around XML so that
files could easily be directly parsed.  That would be my preferred
solution for this kind of thing, in the long run, but right now it's
too much work, and Open Office isn't exactly idiot-proof yet on OS X
(still running in X11).  Maybe we're a few years away from this being
a viable option.

Cheers,

Marc Antony Vose
http://www.suzerain.com/