[nycphp-talk] [ot] oh my god ... buy stamps to send email???

Chris Hubbard chubbard at next-online.net
Fri Mar 5 13:06:05 EST 2004

Mind you, if you'd read the article, you'd see that it isn't about money
at all.  It's more of a sophisticated (if somewhat lame) challenge
response system.  This isn't Bill or Microsoft's idea.  This kind of
idea has been floated a number of times.  Implementing it would be
horrifically difficult.

And, oh, yeah, it wouldn't stop spam.  It would, for a time, slow down
how long it took the spammers to send out spam.  But the system doesn't
stop spam, just makes it more "expensive" in terms of CPU and
bandwidth.   And both CPU and bandwidth are getting cheaper.  So...  Is
it a good idea?  Not really.  Is it feasible?  No.  Does it have
anything to do with cash?  No.  Is there a financial impact? Yes, both
for the spammer and the intended recipient.

A hybrid system is a better choice.  But they're not as sexy.
Chris