[nycphp-talk] OT - IDE Raid cards

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Thu Mar 11 15:24:13 EST 2004

Personally I have had a love/hate relationship with RAID.  I purchased
one of the first ever mainboards with onboard RAID, an ABIT KA7-100
which was using a Highpoint (HPT370) chip, and 2 of then then top of the
line 20GB WD drives.  Unfortunately for me, I never managed to get it to
work properly, and in the end gave up on RAID for a while.

My latest experience was with the Promise FasTrak SX4000, which at the
time I set it up was the latest and greatest in IDE RAID.  I cannot say
enough good things about this card, or the Western Digital J series (in
my case WD800JB) drives.  I put 256MB of RAM in the card and built a
RAID 5 array for a total of 240Gb of storage space.

Unfortunately my machine was using a no-name 300W PSU which couldn't
handle the load of the 4 Western Digitals, plus another 2 non-RAID
drives, etc and was having serious power issues.  The result of this was
that every few days the RAID would drop a drive and have to be rebuilt,
this occurred 4 or 5 times before I figured out what was going on and
replaces the PSU, since then the machine and RAID have been solid as a
rock (and at no time did I lose any data).

I know there are sources available for at least some of the promise
cards, and I believe the 2.6 kernel has support for the TX4 family of
cards.  I haven't used the Promise cards under linux myself so YMMV.

The adaptec cards pointed out by Michael Hanulec look like they might be
just the ticket though.

I would definitely recommend you go with the WD drives, I have been very
happy with them in the past and they seem to work well in RAID setups.

Dan