[nycphp-talk] NYPHP live cdrom

bpang at bpang.com bpang at bpang.com
Thu Mar 18 12:47:11 EST 2004

xampp comes with a few demos
CD Collection  -  php + mysql
Biorhythm  -  creates graph from user's bday
Guest Book  -  php + mysql
Instant Art  -  creates an image with user entered text
Flash Art  -   creates a flash movie of user entered text with ming
phpinfo()  [ok, so it's hardly a demo]
Phone Book  -  php + mysql

and how about some of yopur stuff?
image-list and pWhiteboard
both are great!

> jon baer wrote (Re: [nycphp-talk] [ot] Red Hat Fedora - should i upgrade?):
>
>> I always thought [Knoppix] would make for a nice PHP (or NYPHP) distro
>> loaded with more PHP stuff to showcase ...
>

> I'd like to guage interest in a Boot CD distribution produced by NYPHP
> to hand out at conferences and other groups' meetings. On boot it would
> start a fairly loaded AMP rig and expose a number of nifty PHP
> applications on port 80.
>
> By default, the CD would load configs and sample data into a ramdisk,
> but we would provide a control-panel interface to
> enable/disable/configure applications and hook them to remote data
> sources (or even mount remote filesystems via webdav). Instant mirror!
>
> What PHP applications would you want to see on such a disc?
>
> Has anyone created a custom Knoppix distro? FreeBSD also has a Live CD
> project...

>From hans not junk at nyphp.com  Thu Mar 18 13:04:51 2004
> jon baer wrote (Re: [nycphp-talk] [ot] Red Hat Fedora - should=20
> i upgrade?):
>=20
> > I always thought [Knoppix] would make for a nice PHP (or NYPHP)
distro=20
> > loaded with more PHP stuff to showcase ...
>=20
>=20
> I'd like to guage interest in a Boot CD distribution produced by NYPHP

> to hand out at conferences and other groups' meetings. On boot it
would=20
> start a fairly loaded AMP rig and expose a number of nifty PHP=20
> applications on port 80.

I think this is a very good idea; would be a great way to expose people
to AMP and all the various applications available for it - NYppix CD
anyone?  :)

> By default, the CD would load configs and sample data into a ramdisk,=20
> but we would provide a control-panel interface to=20
> enable/disable/configure applications and hook them to remote data=20
> sources (or even mount remote filesystems via webdav). Instant mirror!
>=20
> What PHP applications would you want to see on such a disc?

This is the hardest part; we'd have to build a list of available
applications and take a survey.

> Has anyone created a custom Knoppix distro? FreeBSD also has=20
> a Live CD project...

Yeah, http://www.freesbie.org/  -  we provided a mirror for them but
they soaked a DS3 :)

I'd be partial to use FreeBSD. A much tighter CD package could be made,
IMO, plus we have close working relationships with Freesbie and
http://NYCBUG.org - I think they'd love to collaborate on a project like
this.