[nycphp-talk] PHP License Management

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Thu May 20 13:06:14 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I've been asked to come up with a licensing solutions for a
closed-source php application, and wondered if anyone had any advice.

The application will be licensed either in perpetuity or on a
subscription basis, and each license will be tied to a particular server
to make unauthorised distribution more difficult.

The idea I came up with was to create a server app where the user could
log in and view/purchase/extend licenses and manage the IP address(es)
each license is tied to.

The 'license' itself would be an encrypted token containing the client
id, expiry date, ip address(es) etc signed with a private key.

The actual software would then be encoded to protect the source from
(casual) prying eyes (I was thinking of using the Turck MMCache encoder
for this) and include code to check the license validity and take
appropriate action.

The most obvious (to me) attack on the system is to reverse-engineer the
code and remove the license check, which could be mitigated somewhat be
encoding the entire app and 'hiding' the check within the code.

It seems to me like a viable solution, but I'm no security expert and
would appreciate any and all comments or pointers to existing solutions.

Dan