[nycphp-talk] using PHP for an offline / CD-ROM presentation

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Wed May 26 11:21:08 EDT 2004

Jayesh Sheth wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have done some research on the topic of using PHP to power a
> CD-based presentation/data retrieval program; I have not come up with
> any good answers yet (on how best to utilize PHP for this purpose). I
> thought that the smart people on this list might have insight into
> this issue.
>
> The problem is as follows:
> I would like to create a program that pop-ups when a user inserts a CD
> into their computer. This program will let the user enter the product
> code of Company A or Company B and it, in turn, will display the
> corresponding code for the same product manufactured by Company C.
> (This project would be for Company C.) When the code for the product
> by Company C is shown, corresponding details such as product image and
> specifications should also be available.

I have done this in the past, but only used JavaScript and flatfiles for
data.  This was the CD version of a LAMP site (ironically for Microsoft)
and I just didn't have time to look for any other options.  It was ugly,
I hated doing it, but it worked.  Now that there are more options for a
richer 'client experience', I'm very interested in the choices that you
make, as well as the results...

-- Mitch