[nycphp-talk] Re: using PHP for an offline / CD-ROM presentation

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Thu May 27 10:40:34 EDT 2004

Jayesh Sheth wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> thanks very much for your responses and suggestions regarding making
> an offline CD application using PHP. Jeff's suggestion seems to be
> awesome ( http://www.indigostar.com/microweb.htm ). I will definitely
> try it out.
>
> Thanks also to the person who suggested Flash. My brother also
> suggested Flash - but the thing is that it might take me some time to
> get up to speed with Flash. And its (vector graphics) nature is a bit
> ... different. Flash used to be associate more with graphic designers
> than with developers, but this has clearly changed by now. (The
> website of the person who suggested Flash is incredibly well done, by
> the way. Congrats on the great job!)
>
> I should buy a book and Flash and read up on its database capabilities

I've offered to do a book review on '*Macromedia Flash MX Professional
2004 Unleashed*' by David Vogeleer
<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?userid=mHu1Qciy9P&ath=David+Vogeleer>
and Matthew Pizzi
<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?userid=mHu1Qciy9P&ath=Matthew+Pizzi>
(ISBN:  067232606X).  There is a chapter dedicated to integrating flash
applications with PHP (and chapters for other languages as well).  As
flash is really coming into it's own as a front-end for Internet
applications, we all would be better of at least knowing how to
integrate our application logic with flash...

There's also a sourceforge project providing flash remoting capabilities
as a PHP class:  http://www.amfphp.org/  I HIGHLY suggest you take a
peek.  ;)

-- Mitch