[nycphp-talk] [OT] Virtual Dedicated Servers

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.com
Fri Nov 5 21:41:50 EST 2004

> > At the end of the day, a VPS/VDS gives you all the root
functionality
> > you need for an AMP deployment, and you wouldn't even notice that
you
> > are in fact sharing the hardware with someone else.  This also means
> > that it's unlikely there are any services running; although they
might
> > be nice enough to get some level of email running for you.
> >
> > The only production level implementation of this is using FreeBSD
jails,
> > which is deployed using this technology:
>
> That's poppycock. I run several production systems (+100K PV/month) on
> linux virtual servers.
>
> They're just fine for many sites.

If you're sharing hardware with strangers, I'd read into the
architecture of LVM.  There's little to prevent me from loading my own
kernel, having nearly full control of the hardware, and doesn't prevent
raw sockets.

LVM was originally developed for development purposes, which made it
easy to load various kernels.  It's great for that, but does very little
in limiting the power of the loaded kernel.

---
Hans Zaunere
President, Founder
New York PHP