[nycphp-talk] webservices anyone?

Eric Rank flakie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 13:39:30 EST 2004

> What do you want to do? What information do you want to
> exchange? Who do you want to communicate with?

My end goal is to have multiple affiliated websites use data from one
database. Ultimately, I'd like to have the data reside on each server
locally so I don't have to have the ridiculous overhead of making
database requests between 2 points on the globe.

My idea was to set up a sort of meta-table which would keep track of
all the transactions in a database. Then, when a site needs to update
it's data, it requests (via web service) all of the transactions since
the last time it updated it's records, from the master database
server.  Then, the client retrieves the response from the SOAP server,
and updates it;s records accodingly.

I do realize that having such a meta-table keeping track of all the
transactions in a database would be a bunch of overhead too. However,
for this project, there's < 100 records per week, so it's not
completely out of line.

The reason I thought that web services would work well has to do with
the potentially complex set of requests that I would be making
remotely and the relative complex (xml) structure of the results.

These sites are hosted on mainstream hosting servers, so I don't have
a ton of control over using things like MySQL replication
techniques... but I AM looking deeper into that solution.

Thanks,

Eric