[nycphp-talk] How did you learn PHP (and programming)

Peter Sawczynec psaw at pswebcode.com
Tue Nov 9 13:18:30 EST 2004

First, I heartily apologize for not mentioning O'Reilly. They are an
excellent top-caliber reference book publisher (especially on the cusp with
all XML and related) and they host a best of breed web site giving tons of
sample chapters as PDFs that can be used to dig into almost any topic.

For all those who have written the tech books that I have used to learn
programming, I apologize that I did not buy all the books, but over the past
7 years or so since I started with regular HTML and JavaScript. Then CSS.
Then plain SQL. Then did VBScript. Then VB 4, 5, 6. Then ASP 3. IIS 3, 4, 5.
Then T-SQL and MS SQL Server 7, 2000, 2002. Then NT4. Then Windows Server
2000, 2003. WSH. Then moved on to PHP 3, 4, 5. MySQL 3, 4, 5. Apache 1.3.x,
2. Then XML, XSLT, XPATH, XQUERY. Then Unix, PERL.

VPN, TCP/IP, RTSP, WRDL, RSS, HTTP, SMTP, FTP, SSL, WML, MPEG, JPEG, TIFF,
EPS, PDF, RTF, CSV, PostScript, Real, WMV, Ethernet, IDS, proxies, load
balancing, firewalls, encryption...

Quark 3, 4, QuickTime 4, 5, 6, Flash 4 - MX, Dreamweaver 3 - MX,  Photoshop
2 - 7, Illustrator 3 - 10, MS PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook 95 - XP.
Also, Freehand, Fireworks, Distiller, Visio, WordPerfect, Bryce...

Geez, I know I'm forgetting some things... And I know that there are many on
this list still deeper than me and they know even more code/apps. I've
hardly batted and eye at C, Python, Tcl, JAVA.

I did an informal summation of the dollars (thru my tax records) and I have
nonetheless spent a bit on books -- easily three thousand dollars.