[nycphp-talk] How did you learn PHP (and programming)

Keith Richardson keithjr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 12:36:31 EST 2004

I learned PASCAL in High School, with a bit of C++ (only the 1st year
class) - my high school offered about 8 programming classes, and I
took 6 of them.

I picked up C by the basics of C++ that I learned in class, and
applied it to changing MUD code, since most distributions of MUDS are
available for download.

I learned php by wanting a scripting language to do databases/etc for
a website I was working on, with just having an entry form and a
list.. so I installed php/mysql/apache in 1999, and it just
skyrocketed from there, and now I have written some php applications
for the places that I have worked for. Also I took a job and am now
co-webmaster of http://www.war3.com/ - where I learned a lot more
about php by wanting the website to run smoother and easier, and
having a lot more automated tasks, and integration between other PHP
applications.

PHP was easy to pick up, especially with my C/C++ knowledge, and also
my dabblings with Java. I did not like visual basic at all, and having
the further availability of php servers around the internet than ASP,
I decided not to even touch asp until years later.

-Keith Richardson