[nycphp-talk] [OT] Virtual Dedicated Servers

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Fri Nov 12 22:02:40 EST 2004

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Michael wrote:

> So the real question is why would anyone want to use a virtual dedicated
> server when you can get a real dedicated server for about the same price?

For starters, it's usually NOT the same price. Virtual servers are usually
cheaper.

One reason I can think of to go with a VM (virtual machine) is support. I
want the control of having root access, yet want someone else deal with
the problems. In my view a good choice for someone with enough experience
to know many admin functions, but not want to jump heads on into learning
all the nuances of managing a box. ie a developer with some admin
experience.

> main benefit I can see is that in theory you can pay for only the amount of
> computing power you need and upgrade easily.

I also think that VMs work best for smaller sites. Anyone with a busy site
probably is better off with a dedicated server.

Moreover, if you don't choose your web hosting company properly they may
put too many VMs in a single box which would degrade performance.