[nycphp-talk] SQLite book by Chris Newman

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Sun Nov 14 21:24:43 EST 2004

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Jayesh Sheth wrote:

> thanks for your note. I think I will order it soon from Amazon or from
> Bookpool. (I think that Adam Trachtenberg's new book has a section on
> creating an address book using SQLite and PHP5, or something like that.)

I have an entire chapter on SQLite in "Upgrading to PHP 5". In
general, using SQLite in PHP isn't much different from other
databases. The SQLite extension does have the neat feature of allowing
you to create UDFs in PHP. I walk you though a few examples for both
regular and aggregate UDFs.

The book's final chapter also has a "putting it all together" wrap up,
and that's where I write an address book with a SQLite backend and
both web and commandline frontends. (It's not the world's most
advanced address book.)

Also, the SQLite extension only works with SQLite 2.x. If you want to
use SQLite 3.x, I think you can use PDO, but I'm not positive. I
haven't played with it myself.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copies today!