[nycphp-talk] OT: Enterprise Java Development

Daniel Krook krook at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 29 10:24:35 EST 2004

Tom,

I would recommend that you take a look at the Struts framework from
Apache.   It will take a bit of upfront work to understand the value that
this will provide, but it's better to pick up now than halfway through the
project when you need to deal with file uploads and form validation.  :)

As it's an implementation of the MVC pattern, you'll be able to bring a
lot of concepts back to your work with PHP as well.

http://struts.apache.org/

The user guide is a great place to get familiar with the technologies and
concepts involved:
http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/

As for a book recommendation, I'd go with:
Pro Jakarta Struts, Second Edition
by John Carnell, Rob Harrop

It's not the highest rated book at Amazon, but I found it useful.

>From O'Reilly, there's also:
Programming Jakarta Struts
by Chuck Cavaness

Good luck,
-Dan

Daniel Krook, Application Developer
WW Web Production Services North 2, ibm.com
1133 Westchester Avenue, White Plains, NY 10604

Personal: http://info.krook.org/
Persona: http://w3.ibm.com/eworkplace/persona_bp_finder.jsp?CNUM=9A9796897