[nycphp-talk] MySQL <-> Sybase

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 14:24:14 EDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:30:24 -0400, Jon Baer <jonbaer at jonbaer.net> wrote:
> anyone have a good book recommendation for someone moving from mysql 4
> to sybase ase 12.x?  also tools, been using rapidsql, anything else?

I would read up on Sybase's procedural language (T-SQL, IIRC) and get
solid practice playing around with triggers and stored procedures.
These two things alone will keep you busy, and could have significant
impact on how you develop future applications.

For example, in the past I have written that it makes great sense when
you know you are using a database with stored procedures and triggers
to put as much of that logic in the database, as you will be able to
reuse that logic from ALL applications, regardless of target audience
or programming language.  Your PHP websites, python admin scripts, and
VB client apps can all use that logic.

Of course really enforcing referential integrity will also be a
learning experience, as you will learn there are oddities for each
database (making sure indexes and datatypes match for foreign keys,

Building a little 5 table test application and seeing how you can max
out the features of the database would be the best way to learn IMHO,
but I am a 'learn by doing' type so my opinion may be biased.

-- Mitch