[nycphp-talk] simplexml, gentoo emerge

Matt Kern lists at thekerns.net
Wed Oct 20 09:56:28 EDT 2004

chris feldmann wrote:

> I guess this actually is offtopic because installation is not really
> within the realm of topics discussed herein. Nonetheless, I'm asking
> if anyone has some insight here. I am suspecting it's a problem with
> gentoo's "ebuild" (as they call them), but maybe someone can save me
> from such guesswork.

Did you set your USE flags?  Add USE=simplexml before your emerge call
or put simplexml in your /etc/make.conf in the USE flags.

So the command should be roughly:

USE="simplexml <any_other_flags_you_want_set>" \
emerge -pv /usr/portage/dev-php/mod_php/php/mod_php-5.0.2.ebuild

That'll do a pretend emerge on that specific version, and tell you what
use flags it's going to use, or will accept.  If you see any that have a
(-) minus in front of them that you want compiled in, add that to the
USE="" statement.  Once you've got things looking the way you want (with
at least the +simplexml showing ;-)  then remove the -pv and run this:

USE="simplexml <any_other_flags_you_want_set>" \
emerge /usr/portage/dev-php/mod_php/php/mod_php-5.0.2.ebuild

You should be good to go.

/mk