[nycphp-talk] PHP Becoming JAVA?

George Schlossnagle george at omniti.com
Wed Sep 1 11:12:44 EDT 2004

I think the author is off-base.  The PHP5 object model changes
originated out of both user and developer unhappiness with the PHP4 way
of doing things.  Many of the changes were both driven and implemented
by people outside of Zend.

I've been as critical of the Zend guys as almost anyone, but this
article is just a big (largely unfounded) personal attack against Andi
and Zeev.  This same author wrote the hilariously off-base article 'PHP
5: A Sign that PHP Could Soon be Owned by Sun', which was universally
mocked by everyone actually involved in developing PHP.

I submit that the author should devote less time to these rabid
conspiracy theories regarding why the language isn't developing in the
way he wants, and more time actually trying to develop the language the
way he wants.

George