[nycphp-talk] PHP Becoming JAVA?

inforequest sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Sep 1 11:56:45 EDT 2004

Isn't this typical of the "programmer vs. implementer" debate? Those who
view themselves as professional programmers seek to advance the academic
quality of the language (those aspects which suffer criticisms, such as
scalability,  "enterprise robustness" , etc) while those who build stuff
that does work seek simplicity, stability, and the maturation of
toolsets. A relative handful of people are in the middle, and hey are
usually involved in developing the language.

A woman sees her friend spending alot of time with a new companion, and
says "is he Mr. Right?" to which her friend replies, "he's Mr. Right Now".

In my view PHP has always been "Mr. right now" - the tool to get the job
done. For such implementors, time till reveal if PHP5 continues to serve
the community -- it will have to be a better tool for the job, be
available on hosting services, be simple enough/reliable enough, etc.
For those seeking to advance the professionalism of their programming,
to replace java, or to achieve what PHP has not been able to achieve
before, there is opportunity for active involvement in the development
of PHP. Loyalty to the language sans active involvement in its
development will lead to frustration, for sure.

I see plenty of PHP programmers migrating to python.