[nycphp-talk] Best recommendations for SWF -> PHP -> SWF

Phillip Powell phillip.powell at adnet-sys.com
Tue Sep 7 17:47:57 EDT 2004

corey szopinski wrote:

>Phil-
>
>I think you¹re best bet is to have your SWF¹s pull content in at runtime
>using XML or loadVars (urlencoded name/value pairs). Putting PHP into a SWF
>doesn't make much sense since the server won¹t parse PHP unless it¹s a text
>file with a .php extension.
>
>I also think you¹ll find that decompiling .swfs is not an exact science. In
>fact, I¹d be surprised if anyone has decompiled a swf into a usable FLA. You
>might get away with pulling AS out as Yury suggested, but the simplest
>answer is to get the original FLA¹s, tweak them to pull in content at
>runtime, then output clean swfs.

That was my initial idea, considering the original web designer has the
original .fla files (I hope), however, he has, to date, not contacted
any of us (he hasn't contacted the customer in months and won't return
phone calls nor emails apparently), so there might not be any way to
obtain the original .fla files as I would like.  And my knowledge of
loadVars is 0.00%, XML only slightly more so, so for the sake of
expediency I felt it be best for me for now to build a PHP CMA that
would allow for extraction of dynamic data into usable external files
for inclusion by the modified SWF files.

Tragically, the original designer lied to the customer about the SWF's
dynamic and scalable capabilities (he hardcoded text right into the SWF
itself!) so this is not for me going to be an easy science to rebuild
dynamically (customer wants the same L&F but with dynamic and
customer-content-management capabilities).

But cool, I won't have to decompile the SWF files, *whew* thanx!

Phil