[nycphp-talk] recommended introductory PHP text

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Thu Sep 9 12:44:57 EDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, David Mintz wrote:

> As for ~Learning PHP5~, I think I'll head over to Computer Book Works and
> check it out, I haven't seen it. Is it suitable even if you expect people
> to be working primarily with PHP 4 for the time being? One wonders how
> long it will be before PHP 5 is widely used in production.

On a "Learning" level, there's actually very little difference between
PHP 4 and PHP 5, so I would you'd be safe to use this book.

All the basics, like variables, conditionals, forms processing,
database access, etc., aren't different. The only major change is
objects, but that's easily segmented into its own world.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copies today!